Pages

Friday, June 29, 2012

148: Nose: A character study from desk debris

148: Nose: A character study from desk debris

Do you have little trays for organizing things in your desk that just collect random bits and pieces? They aren't really designated for anything in particular, and, over time, all sorts of things end up in there. I have a couple of such trays.
Today, I made a spontaneous challenge to myself to make a character out of whatever happened to be in there. It turned out to be a paper clip (medium, white), a nut (sans bolt), and three pushpins (two clear, one black). Happily, these were not particularly challenging items to work with.
I came up with this guy:

 Of course, one of the pushpins made a handy moustache! 
He reminded a bit of Gogol's fantastic (in more than one sense) story "The Nose," so I made one of the pushpins into a fashionable hat. In the story, the nose wears a feathered hat of some kind, but this looks more like a top hat to me (or, you know, a pushpin). I think he looks haughty and disapproving, which suits the character. 


 I wanted to use all of the pieces in order to comply fully with the just-established rules of the challenge, so I made a sort of cravat....

...and a pair of gesticulating arms: "You are mistaken, sir!"
He also looks a little like a masked bandit about to be arrested. No wonder he's frowning!

I photographed these on my new home-built light box. Hopefully, you'll get a chance to see what I made that for in a couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment